Will my Windows 7 computer stop working on 14 January 2020?
No. Support for Windows 7 will be discontinued, but the software will continue to function. After 14 January 2020, if your computer is running Windows 7, it will no longer receive security updates. Therefore, it's important that you move to a modern operating system such as Windows 10, which can provide the latest security updates to help keep you and your data safer. In addition, Microsoft customer service will no longer be available to provide Windows 7 technical support.
How do I get Windows 10?
Windows 10 to upgrade an existing PC is available for purchase, however, PCs have changed substantially since Windows 7 was first released ten years ago. Today’s computers are faster, more powerful, and sleeker - plus they come with Windows 10 already installed!
Can I upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free?
There was a promotional free upgrade offer available when Windows 10 first released, but that offer expired on 29 July 2016.
You can purchase and download Windows 10 on your device today. However, if your computer is more than three years old, it might be time to consider upgrading to a new device.
Why should I consider a new computer?
PCs originally built with Windows 7 are running 10-year-old technology. Windows 10 has many of the same features and capabilities from Windows 7 built into the experience. Once you move to a new PC, there will be many aspects of the experience that you will find familiar, but also with important innovations and capabilities that were not available ten years ago. Take a look at these innovative new features available with Windows 10 on a new device:
- Newer PC hardware that is faster, more capable, and more compatible with the latest industry technology.
- To help you keep your device secure, you can take advantage of the latest security capabilities:
- Get built-in security at no extra cost. Your Windows device comes with built-in security features, including firewall and internet protections to help safeguard against viruses, malware, and ransomware.
- Sign in three times faster and forget your password. Just use your face or fingerprint, to securely and instantly unlock your computer.
- Enjoy a new way to interact with Windows beyond your mouse and keyboard. Most of us are familiar with touchscreens on our phones, and now many new PCs have a touchscreen on a new Windows 10 computer. With the touchscreen, you can also utilise pen technology to write and mark up documents and websites. Touchscreens and pens allow you to zoom in, zoom out, quickly scroll, and sign documents.
- The Photos app automatically organises and tags your photos. Searching for photos is easy and fun. Looking for pictures you took at the beach? Just type “beach" into the search bar and all your beach photos appear.
How is Windows 10 security better than Windows 7?
Windows 10 is the most secure Windows ever built, with comprehensive end-to-end security that covers antivirus, firewall, internet protections, and more. This means more security features, dashboard displays, and ongoing updates3 to help safeguard against future threats - all built-in at no extra cost.
How do I transfer my personal files to a new computer?
It’s easy to bring your files and photos to a new PC using OneDrive, a cloud storage service. With internet access and a few clicks, you can back up and protect your files online in the cloud and then, when you’re ready, sync onto a new PC. Syncing the files between your new PC and the cloud allows you to store files locally for offline use when you don’t have internet access as well as on the OneDrive service in the cloud where you can restore them if something happens. OneDrive can automatically keep the two versions in sync as changes are made.
Note: these instructions are designed for Windows 7 users. The OneDrive client came with Windows 8 so users with Windows 8 and 8.1 devices can use these same instructions but skip the part about installing the app.
If OneDrive is not the best fit for you, you can use an external hard drive or the Windows Backup & Restore feature.
Can I move my shortcuts and IE favourites to a new PC?
If you're moving to a new Windows 10 PC, you can easily move your Internet Explorer favourites with you. These instructions will guide you through moving IE favourites onto Microsoft Edge, the faster, safer way to get things done on the internet. Windows 10 still comes with the Internet Explorer 11 browser you’re probably familiar with. However, it also includes Microsoft Edge, the safer, faster browser designed specifically for Windows 10.
Does Windows 10 support the use of a digital pen or stylus?
Yes. Windows 10 features our innovative and responsive Windows Ink technology that empowers you with a pen that flows as fast as your ideas. Draw, take notes, navigate, and doodle: tap into your creative potential and power productivity with Windows Ink. Windows Ink is only available on pen-capable tablets and PCs. The digital pen may be sold separately.
How do I sign into Windows 10 without a password?
Unlock your Windows 10 device with our password-free sign-in capability, Windows Hello. Use your face, fingerprint, or companion device to unlock your Windows 10 computer in the fastest, most secure way. On devices that support Windows Hello, users can automatically bypass the login screen without typing a password.
How will the end of support for Windows 7 affect my Microsoft Office apps?
Your experience may be different depending on the Office version you're running. To learn more, see Windows 7 end of support and Office.